Doing Business in Illinois
7-Step Plan That Works for You!
- 1. Select a business structure that works best for your needs.
These include sole proprietorship, general and limited partnership, limited liability
partnership, a limited liability company, and S and C corporations. Please
click here to obtain forms for each business
- 2. Register the business name with your county clerk.
- 3. Obtain an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service through their online application process. Please visit click here for more information.
- 4. Obtain federal tax information for your selected business structure. Please click here for more information.
- 5. Register and license your business with the Illinois Department of Revenue. Please click here for more information.
- 6. Find out if your city imposes any additional local taxes by contacting your local revenue department.
- 7. Obtain a license to practice in your industry if required by the Illinois Division of Financial & Professional Regulation. Please visit the department website at click here for more info.
For further information on Doing Business with the State of Illinois is available online at
For business questions, please contact the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity’s (DCEO) Business Information Center at (800) 252-2923 or firstname.lastname@example.org.